Sunday, November 11, 2007

#4

I've been working through the suggested list of wikis. The one I've previously been most familiar with is wikipedia and I've found it can be useful for the on-line reference service when you want to give someone a general overview of a subject. However, I am always mindful that people are able to edit the information mischeviously. "Library success : a best practices wiki" reinforces this negative aspect of shared information with its warning on vandalism. Unfortunately I think I will always tend to look at "external" wikis with a slightly jaundiced view.
I like the idea of being able to share information on-line here at SLV and made a posting a couple of weeks ago on the desk diary - useful to check when you're on the desk.
Thanks to Mark for creating the SLV training wiki. It's really useful.
I was very interested to find out the origin of the term, wiki.

No comments: